Getting a Partner Visa for Your Foreign Spouse

Spouse Visa

If you’re in a relationship with a foreign national then you might be considering bringing them back to Australia. While this is possible, it’s not always easy to do. For some people, the paperwork can be overwhelming, which is where a decent family lawyer can help. For other people, it’s simply understanding the process that’s difficult.

Ultimately, the most important thing that you need to do if you want to bring your foreign partner back to Australia is get them a visa. Depending on their nationality, this can be hard to do. However, it’s usually possible, especially if you can prove that you’ve been in a relationship for some time.

In this article we’ll outline the process of getting a partner visa for your foreign spouse (or spouse to be). We will also look at the ways a decent immigration or family lawyer can help you get your visa with the least amount of trouble possible.

Why Do I Need A Partner Visa?

If you’re in a serious relationship with a foreign national who doesn’t have residential rights in Australia then you will need to consider getting them a partner visa if you want them to move here. This is difficult, but it’s more than possible to do, especially if you’re willing to spend the time and money to do it right.

Although it’s hard to get a partner visa, it’s usually worth it. In many cases, it might be the only way for your spouse or partner to stay in Australia permanently. Unfortunately, there are usually a lot of conditions that you have to meet before you apply for a Australian spouse visa.

How Do I Know If I Can Apply For A Spouse Visa?

If you’re serious about applying for a spouse visa and moving to Australia, you need to make sure that you fit the following conditions:

  • You have to be married to an Australian citizen or permanent resident or have been in a defacto relationship for at least 12 months.
  • You and your partner have to be committed to each other, whether or not you’re legally married.
  • You have to live together on a permanent basis.
  • You have to have a genuine, continuing relationship.
  • You have to both be older than 18 in most cases.
  • You have to pass both character and health tests. This will include a review of any criminal background you might have.

If you meet these conditions then you will be able to apply for an initial spousal visa. This will involve your partner sponsoring you for two years, after which you can apply for permanent residency.

Consider Employing The Services Of A Lawyer

If you’re serious about applying for a spousal visa then you should definitely think about employing the services of a skilled immigration lawyer. They will be able to help you put together your application, making sure that you don’t miss any important information or provide incorrect details.

Good luck!